The year’s slightly more than half done and there have been some nice reads on my shelves!
THESE BOOKS ARE NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER. Just reads that I really liked/loved/screamed in a good way about. I tried to group them by genre and failed miserably. Okay? Okay.
Oh, and the links from the titles of books lead to their Goodreads page, and the reviews are either on my blog or Goodreads.
So, let’s dive into it!
My favorite reads of 2018 so far
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker (click here for the review) – WELCOME TO THE FIRST CLASSIC EVER THAT I HAVE LIKED. You know what, fuck school for making people think classics are bad. For making me think that classics are bad. This was great.
- Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (click here for the review) – this book just left me with a big WOAH feeling, because the main character’s a murderer. And you end up cheering for him. Nice.
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (click here for the review) – aaaand in this one there’s a pedophile you don’t hate. Is the book fucked up? Sure, but that’s why it’s worth reading.
- Solitaire by Alice Oseman (click here for the review) – Tori was such a cool character, AND SHE HAS A TUMBLR. LIKE, A REAL-LIFE ONE. *screams*
- Radio Silence by Alice Oseman (click here for the review) – I LOVE PODCASTS AND I LOVED THIS BOOK. Aled and Frances’ friendship was goals. Just aaaaa
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (click here for the review) – this one hit so hard? One of the scariest books I’ve ever read. Narrated by a 7 year old.
- Orange Hickey Dad and Orange Hickey Boyfriend by pearsfears – these two are short comics, and both are so, so heartwarming (I might have cried while reading OHB, but shh)!! I’m a big fan of… basically everything pears makes at this point, haha, and for a reason! The art is damn good, too! If you want, you can read pearsfears’ comics on Tapas for free to get a taste!
- The Power by Naomi Alderman (click here for the review) – this was my first dystopian read EVER and it did not disappoint! Loved both of the stories in the book and all of the perspectives and ahhh
- She of the Mountains by Vivek Shraya (click here for the review) – a book with gods in it?? Sign me tf up. Aside from that, it also described the struggles of coming to terms with being queer. A great read!
- The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl by Belle de Jour (review coming soon!) – I basically just finished it and I love, love, loved it!! Just the right amount of humor. Written in diary entries. Did I mention I loved it?
These are some of the best books I’ve read in 2018! Have you read any of these? What did you think? What’s your favorite read of this year so far?
Follow me on Goodreads, Instagram and Bloglovin’!